Former Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph ole Lenku has told his successor Joseph ole Nkaissery to stop interfering with his campaigns for the Kajiado gubernatorial seat.
Mr Lenku asked Mr Nkaissery to give him space and allow him to sell his policies to the people of Kajiado.
“I am aware of the unorthodox means being used by my successor to have unsavoury statements made about my bid,” the former Cabinet Secretary said on Friday.
“All I am asking is to be given the freedom and space to do my campaigns and the Kajiado people will decide.”
Mr Lenku said he would not be intimidated by forces threatened by his entry into politics and that his bid was unstoppable.
“I am not backing down,” he said.
Mr Lenku’s uncharacteristic spat against Mr Nkaissery emanates from a concern raised by several political leaders allied to the Cabinet Secretary on the size of Mr Lenku’s security detail in his campaign tours.
Last week, several Jubilee Members of County Assembly called for a probe to be carried out on Mr Lenku’s security detail.
They accused him of using state resources to campaign for governorship.
The MCAs, led by Mr Mwathi Pere (Ongata Rongai), Onesmus Ngogoyo (Ol Keri), Justus Ngussur (Ewuaso) and Deputy Speaker George Sunkuiya, raised the red flag over the presence of chase cars in Mr Lenku’s campaigns yet he had ceased being a state officer in 2015.
But Saturday, Mr Lenku told the Nation there was nothing wrong with his security detail because he had just enhanced it.
He said he was entitled to State security for three years.
Mr Lenku’s entry into Jubilee politics in Kajiado is slowly catching up with those who had earlier declared their interest in the seat.
The aspirants, who now call themselves Team Mabadiliko, are coalescing around 2013 Jubilee aspirants Tarayia ole Kores and Daniel Nina Livondo and Kitengela businessman George King’ori.
Said Mr Kingori, “I joined this team because we must win the seat. The team has promised inclusion of all key communities unlike the current regime that locked out the major communities in the county.”
Mr Kores and Mr King’ori have denied claims that Mr Lenku was systematically isolated from the team.
“He is ready to join. We have said this is an alliance of gubernatorial candidates. If he is one and in Jubilee, he should join,” said Mr King’ori.
Mr Kores reiterated the team’s resolve to agree on their candidate through consensus. We can’t wait until nomination time. We shall agree on one of us,” Mr Kores said in Kitengela last week.
Mr Lenku’s entry and the formation of Team Mabadiliko has essentially split the Jubilee family in Kajiado.
Cord only got the governorship through David Nkedianye and only two out of 25 MCA positions.
All the other positions went to Jubilee.